Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Half, Olympic and Sprint Distance Tri- All in a Single Day??

Well not exactly, but it sure felt like it. My schedule called for time in all three disciplines today and the nasty Atlanta weather meant a very long afternoon at Lifetime Fitness. Its a really good thing I like that place. This morning was cold and rainy and based on my past experiences on the bike..(i.e. see pictures of blue feet)...I can handle one or the other but never both!

I started with a long swim. Total distance was 3,000 meters. Started with 500 m warm-up and did a 2,200 m long set today, then finished with a 300 m cool down. I don't think I've done a long swim since Arizona in April. Overall I felt okay, very slow but what are you gonna do? My form went to crap faster than a snow cone melts in July at the 1,500 m point, but despite feeling like I was about to drown I somehow managed to finish.

Next I moved to the spin bikes and put in 2 hours on the trainer. 30 minute warm-up and 10x2 minutes very hard/increasing strength efforts with a 1 minute spin in between sets. It was pretty hard actually and then finished up with 2x20 minute sets of medium effort trying to keep heart rate in the low 150's for the duration. Met a pretty cool guy who is doing his first Triathlon in Mexico City. Its called the Beach Bash and is an Olympic distance race in April. I need to check it out...sounded pretty cool. He spun with me for about an hour and it helped break up the boredom, but I had to do the second hour on my own. I sure hope the weather starts to cooperate because these long trainer days are getting PAINFUL!!!

Finished up with a 30 minute run on the treadmill that actually felt pretty good. Total effort for the day was Half-iron swim (actually a little more), Olympic Bike (also a little more), and Sprint run. Good day and also a nice way to finish up a pretty strong week. Total Swim time 3:05, Bike time 3:20, Run time 4:45 and Core/Stength 1:00!!!

I noticed my Oceanside countdown clock is telling me the race is 79 days, 10 hours, 15 minutes and 20...19 ..18 seconds till race start!!!

No comments: