Monday, February 9, 2009

The Gaps! Mountainous Training Ride or Cavernous Training Void?


Overall not a bad week last week, although I did get a little de-railed at the week's end as usual. I think my last post was after a pretty horrific shart on Tuesday.

Rest of the week was pretty benign with a long trainer ride Thurday and short run and swim on Friday. Saturday consisted of a pretty long run of 1-1/2 hours that I really struggled with. I just felt tired during the whole run. It was a really pretty day though so I just ran around the neighborhood and followed up with a nice bike ride on Sugarloaf. I usually don't like to ride there with all the traffic, but I just didn't feel like driving anywhere to complete a pretty short ride of 1-1/2hours. I also wanted test out my "old" Trek road bike since my plan was to go to the Gaps on Sunday and enjoy the nice weather and I didn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere if there was a problem.

Sunday morning I decided to hit the Gaps. It was first time going up there in almost a year. Unfortunately they decided to hit back! I guess the long layoff was a little shocking to the legs. My original plan was to do at least the 3 gap 50 and maybe a few more if I felt good. That question was settled after going 0.000001 miles on Neel's (I think even before I actually reached the climb)as my legs screamed for me to stop and go back.

Overall it wasn't a terrible ride but it definitely left me a little more than worn out. I ended up doing Neel's, Wolfpen, Woody's and a quick jaunt up Pigsah Mountain before returning to Turner's Corner. Not sure how I will hold up this week at Mt Lemon.

No comments: