Monday, September 29, 2008

Roll Tide!/Training by Association/"D'OH!"

Okay so maybe my first post exclaiming that "Coeur d'Alene training begins", was a little overstated. My friend Reg has been busting my chops for the last few days asking me, "why haven't you been updating your blog?" Hello! Are you watching what is going on in the world of finance?

In addition, being at the Alabama-Georgia game and being an Alabama fan, that has to count for something doesn't it? I mean to even be associated with such a physical "beatdown", I must have gained some physical benefit equivalent to at least a 12 mile run or maybe a 3-gap cycle ride! Yes?

Okay so here was training/weekend update since my last blog:

Friday September 26, 2008 - Despite a very busy week, I did manage to get over to Lifetime Fitness and get in a quick 1,200 meter swim. I was planning on doing a 40 minute run on the treadmill as well but forgot my socks, so after mile and feeln' the blisters start to appear I decided to call it quits...really ...no kidding ....I forgot my socks!! That was not an excuse!

Saturday September 27, 2008. I rose early and made my way to Athens. My friend Jay Clark started his tailgate at 6:30 am!!! That is some serious tailgating considering the game wasn't until 7:45 pm!! Also made for a very long day when your team gets blown out. Let's just say my Georgia friends were none too happy when I returned to the tailgate site after the game. I snuck out of there pretty quickly with a minimum of "bragging". On a positive note, Craig Canfield was the master chef and the smoked pulled pork-butt and drunk chicken was the best it has ever been! It was a very fun day and worth the non-training cost. An old Air-Force buddy of mine, Karl Tucker, came in from Boston over the weekend to watch the game so we had a great time.

I also remember that exactly one year ago this weekend I was in Cancun Mexico getting ready to race in the Ironman Cancun 70.3. As I recall I was trying to get some much needed sleep on Saturday night as my friends called my cell all night updating me on the 2007 Georgia-Alabama game. A game which we lost in overtime. Oh well, at least my race the following day was awesome!!

On Sunday my friend didn't fly out until late so we decided to head down to Park-Tavern at the corner of Piedmont Park and it was literally a perfect day. Music, friends, and fresh brewed beer. Hopefully I'll feel it was worth it when I DNF in June!!

What do I say about today? Monday September 29, 2008, wow not the day to be a financial planner or investment manager. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'OH"!! Not a fun day !! The good new is since there is freakin' absolutely no gas to be found anywhere in the state of Georgia...I CAN'T GO TO WORK!!!

No comments: